I am an Appalachain-American, in common terms, a hillbilly. I know God has a sense of humor as he has led our family to Cambridge England. Cambridge University is a jewel of refinement and tradition, undoubtedly one of the most civilized places on Earth. This environment provides quite a contrast to my Wild, Wonderful West Virgina. My new favorite pastime is comparing my home here with life back in the hills. You remember the Beverly Hillbillies, right? Well, we are the Cambridge Hillbillies.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Precise Language

The English love precise language. This can be a little unsettling for Americans since we primarily communicate with grunts, gestures, and body language. We have even been known to charge if you stare directly into our eyes, but I digress.

Recently I was teaching a class of Year 8 (7th grade) students when there was an outbreak of giggling among a group of usually well behaved girls. When I approached to find out what was going on, one young lady spoke up, “Sorry Miss, Chloe belched and it smelt of sick.” This child was obviously a student of the Queen’s English. Notice that the word ‘sick’ is used as a noun. We don’t use it that way in America. In America, “sick” is usually an adjective. Also notice the word ‘smelt.’ In America, “smelt” is not the past tense of “smell.” “Smelt” is either a small fish or a way to process ore. There is one exception to Americans using the word ‘smelt’ instead of “smelled;” it only occurs among males from age 11 to 40, and only because it rhymes with the word “dealt.”

If Chloe had been an American, her friend would have likely said the following: “Um, Mrs. Leonard, but Chloe like, uh, burped, and when she burped it smelled like, you know, barf!” One thing I find strangely comforting is that British children also find bodily functions humorous; I would have to feel bad if it were just an American thing. However, hearing such humor expressed in precise terms by 12 year olds leaves me feeling uneasy. I know precise language isn’t a bad thing, but for the American listener it takes some getting used to.

I think the American ear tends to tune out precise language. Paying attention is too much hard work. We simply do not have the patience to hear every word, which is a requirement for understanding precise language. We are much happier just getting the general idea. One reason Americans talk so much is that we don’t use precise language, so it takes us twice as many words to say anything at all. We also assume the listener only perceives about half of the words we say, so we tend to speak in generalities and repeat ourselves a lot. In other words, since we don’t use precise language, we have to use a whole lot of words to say anything at all, and if the listener only listens to half of what we say, redundancy makes sense and we tend to repeat ourselves.

This difference in communication style could very well be what gives the British the erroneous notion that Americans talk too much. Actually we talk just the right amount to communicate with other Americans. The problem is that the British listener tries to make precise sense out of every word we say, so not only do they come away exhausted, but also with the mistaken impression that we don’t know what we are talking about. Quite the contrary, we know exactly what we are saying, generally speaking.

All of this has implications for Jim’s dissertation. He has a limit of 80,000 words. Most British universities have a limit of 100,000 words, but this is Cambridge, and they figure with a higher standard of precise language, their scholars should be able to streamline by 20%. I wish Jim’s dissertation supervisor much luck. Given the example of Chloe’s story above, I figure it takes Americans two words for every one British word to express any thought. He clearly he has his work cut out for him.

Not all American communication is dependant on a large number of words, however. Jim’s Grandfather, who was born, raised and lived most of his life in the hill country of Eastern Kentucky, was what we refer to as a man of few words. When Papaw Meek spoke, we did indeed cling to every word, because we knew they would be few and profound. One time we were visiting when Sara was three. She had been rather naughty and I was compelled to implement some discipline in the presence of Jim’s grandparents. Upon seeing my discomfort at the situation, Papaw came up to me and said, “You’re alright. You gotta keep ‘em down there. Don’t let ‘em get up here.” What he said to me was hardly precise language, but it spoke volumes. With a glance and a hand gesture to indicate just where ‘down there’ and ‘up here’ were, Papaw showed me his approval. He let me know that, in his opinion, I was doing the right thing by disciplining Sara.

Americans find the task of listening to precise language difficult. British public speakers know that if you use precise language you must speak slowly and with good diction for the hearer to comprehend every word. In addition to the use of precise language, the English also insist on employing the principle of being sensible. The final product of these principles will lack certain elements that American listeners need in order to remain conscious.

A case in point is our pastor here in Cambridge. He is a wonderful minister. His preaching is relevant, well reasoned, biblically sound, and spiritually insightful. Our first Sunday here, we realized his delivery met all BBC specifications for sensible public speaking. The second Sunday was the same, but then something extraordinary happened: he went to Texas for two weeks. His first Sunday back he was a changed man. His sermon was filled with colorful metaphors, large sweeping gestures, and humor. His range of inflection had doubled. He smiled and nearly winked when he said something funny. At times, he stepped away from the lectern, and once he even laughed at his own joke. Jim and I knew immediately, it was Texas.

By immersing himself in American culture, the American style of communication had an effect on our pastor. After about a month, “Texas” wore off a bit, but we still see little glimpses here and there. Since it isn’t sensible to send all of our English friends off to Texas, I guess it is up to us to get used to precise language.

4 comments:

Johnstons.in.Cambridge said...

I loved this entry! No wonder I miss so much when I tune out occasionally in conversations here! I thought this was very insightful Angie, and helpful for me when I consider how I talk and listen while here in England. Hope you are staying healthy across the yard.

Johnstons.in.Cambridge said...

I am waiting for the sequel to this! Keep writing!

lisa

Angie Leonard said...

I wish I had more time to write. My next entry is about bridges. I have several things on the burner, but half term is running out fast!

Tracy said...

All I can say is, "precisely". LOL