I am an Appalachain-American, in common terms, a hillbilly. I know God has a sense of humor as he has led our family to Cambridge England. Cambridge University is a jewel of refinement and tradition, undoubtedly one of the most civilized places on Earth. This environment provides quite a contrast to my Wild, Wonderful West Virgina. My new favorite pastime is comparing my home here with life back in the hills. You remember the Beverly Hillbillies, right? Well, we are the Cambridge Hillbillies.

Monday, April 7, 2008

Cheeky Americans

Since I have been substitute teaching I have made great headway at understanding the British accent. I owe it to being totally immersed in the language daily. In fact, when Jim and I go out in public I am the official translator. In a relatively short time my ear has become so accustomed to hearing British accents that whenever I hear Americans speaking it really stands out.

One day, a few of us Tyndale residents were standing around having casual conversation about such things. Joining us was my husband’s PhD supervisor. He is one of our neighbors and also in charge of Tyndale House. His official title is “Warden” (another English word with different connotations to us Americans). In his best interest, I will refer to him from now on as “The Warden.” This is to avoid mentioning his actual name because I’m guessing he would rather not have The Cambridge Hillbillies blog pop up every time someone googles his name.

Anyway, we were all standing around talking about language differences and accents when I felt compelled to point out just how keen my ear had become, so that I could very quickly pick up on an American accent, even if I were in a crowded room. The Warden chimed in that it was probably because the Americans were speaking so loudly.

The high point of that conversation would have been some witty and comical comeback from me, but I restrained myself—it wasn’t that I couldn’t think of one I just restrained myself! While it seems out of character for me to restrain myself from a comical and witty come-back, I had a very good, yet complicated reason which I will try to explain.

The short of it is that I thought it would be unkind to rob The Warden of his moment. I owed The Warden this kindness because I knew he was still smarting from an earlier incident. We had only been living here a few days when someone organized a party in the Tyndale House common room to celebrate England’s participation in the Rugby world cup.

For my American friends who don’t know what Rugby is, well, neither do I really. They use a vaguely American shaped football and have sort of American football type goal posts, and some sort of scoring system similar to American football. They spend a lot of time in a huddle, but in one big one instead of two. They don’t wear pads or helmets, presumably because nothing exciting enough to warrant pads and helmets ever happens in the game. That’s about all I know about it.

At any rate, just as in America, before sporting events they play the national anthem. For some strange reason the English have chosen for their national anthem the tune of that glorious American patriotic hymn, My Country ‘Tis of Thee. They call it God Save Our Queen. There were twenty or so people in the room, about ¾ of them were Americans. We were all enrapt in hearing a tune so near and dear to our hearts, and we were humming along.

Somewhere near the end of the song I was overcome by a cheeky American impulse. The final phrase of the song for the British is the title “God save the Queen.” The final phrase for us Americans is of course “Let freedom ring.” There is a mechanism that takes over in the brain when one is singing a song you have sung over and over again. It is like an automatic pilot. This happens in church frequently. A hymn is sung a particular way and engrained on the congregation. If some one comes a long and sings it the right way, the congregation will automatically sing it they way they always have. I knew the Americans would follow me, so I did the deed. On the first beat of the final phrase I bellowed out “Let.” My patriotic brothers and sisters did the rest. In an instant freedom was ringing where God should have been saving the Queen.

I was hoping for some reaction, but The Warden’s response was priceless. Not since that original cheeky American impulse known as the Boston Tea Party has a perceived act of treason been met with such an overreaction. With eyes wild and limbs flailing the Warden sprang from his seat sputtering repeatedly “God save the Queen! It’s God save the Queen!” Amid his tones of “how could you” and “how dare you” the Americans, were holding their sides and wiping away tears of laughter. The joke had been on them as well, as many of them had subconsciously blurted out subversion of the monarchy.

There is no need to speculate as to whether I could actually come up with witty and comical response to The Warden’s suggestion that Americans are loud. It was purely for the sake of community harmony and good cultural integration that I chose to let the comment about how loud Americans are pass by with out a clever retort. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

8 comments:

Teacherperson said...

Fantastic story! What a great parallel. Let freedom ring indeed. Hee hee.

I find myself toning down since I've been here for three months. We had an American friend come to visit a few weeks ago, and my son and I picked her up from the airport. The first thing we both noticed was how LOUD she seemed. This observation, coming from two people who have been accused of being part of the loudest family in the world, was quite a surprise.

In case you are wondering who I am, I'm a friend of Lisa J.

Angie Leonard said...

Americans really are loud compared to the English. That's why I couldn't come up with a witty retort!

I have noticed we have toned it down some in our family too (my English neighbors might have a hard time believing that). I wonder if that will stick when we return to America? Will our families back home say "gee, you seem so quiet?"

I am glad you are enjoying the blog!

Johnstons.in.Cambridge said...

Dear Angie,

Indeed, a great blog, as of course I have now come to expect from you.

I agree with my friend, that we as a family are getting much more quiet, and I agree with YOU that I doubt if our British friends have noticed!

keep writing friend!

Anonymous said...

hey angie

it's me it's me it's larry t.
i gotta tell ya i love readin' about the cambridge hillbillies.
good thing i ain't over there, 'cause i wouldn't be able to keep my "smart mouth" shut. you know me, if it's funny, no matter how wrong it is, i speak my mind.
i got a new e-mail address, but i don't want to post it here. have to figure out somethin'... 'cause i lost your e-mail address.
say hay to every body. sounds like you're havin' a little fun over there.
hope to hear from you soon.
love ya.
yer cuzzin todd

Anonymous said...

Hey Ang, I've been watching your blog anxiously awaiting your next post but I've been disappointed over and over again!! You can't be THAT busy! lol Just know that whenever you do find the time to write again that you will have a happy cousin who is grateful for any update on how and what you are doing! Love to all!

Anonymous said...

HI ANGIE!!!!! I'm probably one of the loudest Americans, and you Leonards have experienced THAT first hand! But, I can't help it I'm naturally loud! A nearly deafened the already half-deaf Derek when we went on a winter retreat with the youth group! In my defense, though, mechanical bulls are TERRIFYING! At least, the first time you ride them... And, I'm going to Camp Carmel in two weeks!!! My brother left today, so it's relatively quiet for once... and my grandma's gone, so it's just my mom, Debbie, and me! I need company... T_T If only you guys still lived just down the road in that little red house that I loved so much... You should probably know by now who this is... Anyway, I enjoyed the story! It made me smile. And I will come visit you guys eventually... Maybe next year... I dunno... this reply was pretty much completely irrelevant to your blog entry, but that's me, you know, Miss Irrelevant Comments! Love you guys, and miss you guys!!! Can't wait til I see y'all again!! <3
~Liz T.

Anonymous said...

Hey Angie,
It's me, Larry T. Gandee. One of yer other sirnames/hernames (?) I know you ain't forgot about me....YET.
Hey ! What's the east side of the "pond" like ??
You want yer Brit buddies to get some true "Appalachan American" wisdom, you gots to give 'em "Toddism's".

I have some goodin's sometimes.

I'm givin' my e-mail address to y'all (you-all). (in case you forgot)
lgandee@neo.rr.com
I don't know if you had the right one before, but you do now.

remember the true defination of Hillbilly is the complete/total lack of sophistication.

luv yunz
T

Johnstons.in.Cambridge said...

What have you been doing with all your time? It has been almost a year, and STILL no new blog entry~get with it woman!